Former Prosecutors, Now Determined Advocates In Defense Of The Accused
A well-known presumption in our criminal justice system is that a person accused of a crime is to be considered innocent until proven guilty. Despite this deeply cherished concept, in practical terms, someone may suffer immediate consequences after being charged with a criminal offense. You may lose your driving privileges, your job and other benefits once you have been arrested or come under investigation. To protect your rights and future, you need an attorney who will act immediately to secure the best outcomes through every step of your case.
At Michael D. Barber & Associates, criminal defense is one of our most prominent practice areas. As former prosecutors now in private practice as defense attorneys, we have abundant experience on both sides of arguments about guilt and innocence. Our thorough understanding of both the prosecution and the defense of a case allows us to better protect your interests.
Why You Need A Lawyer Right Away
Although you are not required to have an attorney to represent you in court after an arrest, the state has an attorney looking out for the state’s interests – the prosecutor. When the prosecutor took their oath of office, they affirmed that their job was to “seek the truth” in every case while pursuing convictions. Many prosecutors lose sight of their original oaths and only seek to obtain convictions, sometimes putting people’s presumption of innocence on the line. If you have been accused, you may suffer severe repercussions if a court convicts you.
Consequences for not properly preparing to defend your case can have long-lasting harmful effects on your life. Some examples are as follows:
- In criminal drug-related offenses, the laws of the state of Georgia can be overwhelming. You may lose your rights and freedom if the prosecution gets the upper hand.
- In a simple traffic violation, even if you weren’t arrested, your charges can still carry serious repercussions. Convictions for traffic offenses can have high court costs, points added to your driving record and increases to automobile insurance rates. Most people don’t know that all traffic violations in Georgia are crimes that may carry jail time.
- After a domestic violence arrest, you may lose access to your home and even your children.
Clearly, it is worthwhile to do what it takes to pursue the most favorable attainable outcome when you are under suspicion of a crime. Our lawyers are experienced former prosecutors with deep knowledge, working as a team to protect our clients’ futures.
Put Our Criminal Defense Experience To Work For You
The following is a small sample of criminal charges for which we offer assistance:
- DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- Drug crimes: violations of the Georgia Controlled Substances Act
- Battery and assault, domestic violence and family violence
- Shoplifting and theft
- General traffic citations or tickets
- Hit and run, driving as a “super speeder,” driving with a suspended license, driving a vehicle with a suspended or expired registration, committing traffic violations resulting in traffic accidents
- Criminal trespass, loitering and prowling
- White collar crimes: embezzlement, fraud, employee and fiduciary thefts and forgeries, violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), money laundering, identity fraud, computer crimes and mortgage fraud
Skillful and effective criminal defense requires a thorough analysis of the situation. Just because you have been charged with a crime does not mean that you have to admit guilt. It means that you need help from an experienced criminal defense lawyer to properly prepare your defense.
Contact Our Criminal Defense Firm After An Arrest
Even if you are only under investigation and have not yet been charged, you need immediate legal representation. Request a case evaluation from one of our attorneys with no further obligation. Call 404-334-2818 or email us to reach our law offices. Request a free consultation to learn how we can help you.